By: Leila Longeteig, Matilda Foster & Rose Negrete
The Importance of Art
Art has been in our species and heritage for thousands of years, and it is important to appreciate the masterpieces that people have created with their many years of experience and or people just starting off. Art can make you feel different emotions and make you react in certain ways such as joy, sadness, disgust, or anger. Art can be a comforting factor for some people, it can make them feel uplifted and inspired! Creating art can boost your creativity and confidence, which can be a benefit to your daily life, even if what you’re creating is just a doodle on some scrap paper. All art matters and so do people. So the point being made here is art can really make an impact and is important to stimulate different emotions.
Different Styles commonly used
There is an abundance of different types of art, but here are some of the most commonly used ones.
- Painting: Painting is the process of applying paint to a canvas or a solid surface. This is usually done with a brush or knives, sponges, and airbrushes. Spraypaint is also a form of painting. The support for painting includes surfaces such as walls, paper, canvas, wood, glass, lacquer, pottery, leaf, copper, and concrete. Paintings can also include a variety of different items, sand, clay, paper, plaster, gold leaf, and they can even include whole objects.
- Sculpture: Sculpting is a form of art where people create three-dimensional objects in clay, stone, metal, ceramics, wood, paper (paper machê), and many other materials. There has been complete freedom of materials to complete this process since modernism. Sculptures are one of the earliest forms of art (besides cave art). People like the ancient Greeks created extremely realistic sculptures of gods, as well as regular people; Some of their sculptures still remain intact to this day!
- Literature: Literature is any collection of written work.. There are many different genres of literature, such as fiction, a ‘whimsical’ story that is not true; drama, a story about a tragedy or sometimes conflict between people; horror, a scary or frightening story; mystery, usually some type of crime or monster invasion. There are also poem, a (typically) short rhyme or sentence that usually is focused on one specific topic, or writing about someone or something. All of these qualify as a piece of literature.
- Sketching: Sketching is usually lightly drawing on paper, walls, or wood to make a design or image. Sometimes sketching is getting down the plan before you create the final piece, and sometimes it is just to doodle. Sketching is done lightly so that I can be easily erased in case of a mistake. People usually use materials like pens, pencils, and markers. Even though sketching is just a rough drawing it is still considered art.
- Music: Music is any form of expressing yourself that uses sound such as your voice or instruments like guitar, piano, trombone, viola, etc. Music is a big part of our American society and culture, and it is one of the best ways to express yourself with sound. There are many different categories of music, including Hip Hop, Jazz, Rock, Classical, etc.
Artists’ Work – here is a small selection of pieces you or may not have seen before.
Willard Wigan (Willard Wigan creates very microscopic art that can fit in the eye of a needle, this is an astronaut landing on the moon.)
Leanardo Da Vinci (Mona Lisa, and Leonardo himself)
Queen (the band) (Queen is a British band that became popular in the ’80s, Queen had many hits such as Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody To Love, and Under Pressure.) Here are some of their songs: CLICK HERE!
As you can see they clearly lived in the ’80s.